Monday, June 9, 2014

Persistence and Milestone

In May, I took over the leadership of the parents' organization for my child's school and the whole month seemed to vanish in the swirl of the end of the school year.  Our family also had several weekend trips.  Each special event felt like a wave coming in from the ocean.  When you're body surfing, you have to face the ocean and adjust to each wave or you'll get knocked down.  I planned ahead for each event as well as I could, but I didn't lose much weight over May.

I'm beginning to accept what a slow journey this will be.  After over four months of Weight Watchers, I'm still not quite 25 pounds down.  On the other hand, I find myself much more flexible than I've been in the past.  When I am much more strict about what I eat, a trip to the amusement park, a weekend with friends, or an ice cream social may be enough to completely sideline me.  What I am doing works and is sustainable.

This weekend I at least had a small milestone that gave me encouragement.  I haven't been able to slide my engagement ring off my finger in over five years.  Yesterday it came off without too much effort and I stood there for a moment, staring at it loose in the palm of my hand.  A very good feeling.

No comments:

Post a Comment