Ugh. The lure of chocolate eggs and marshmallow bunnies.
We traveled over Easter, spending time in two households and a hotel. There was even a big Easter party with friends -- that included a pot luck and lots of Easter basket treats. At first I did pretty well, but by sunset on Easter I had to admit that my little snacks, nibbles, and taste tests added up to quite a bit. I really should have tracked my Weight Watchers points; that honesty would have helped me stay on a more even keel despite declaring it a splurge day. The next day was my meeting and weigh-in. For the first time since joining in February, I was up instead of down. It was only a half pound gained, but it was demoralizing. For a couple of days I skidded and spun, craving sugar like crazy. I've had sugar all along, but only in isolated bits and after a meal. I also splurged and had several Diet Dr. Peppers.
It was kind of miserable, really. I badly wanted sugary, carb-laden, over-processed foods but at the very same time I knew that they weren't satisfying me. I'd eat one thing and immediately want another. I gritted my teeth and stopped the treats cold turkey. After two days of eating well and good exercise, I felt normal again. And the scale is dropping again.
Whew!
I don't want to go back there again. I think those sugary treats are almost always going to have to be isolated, separated by good food so they don't become a downward spiral. And any sort of smugness I felt about these changes being permanent is gone. I'm going to be careful.
No comments:
Post a Comment