YMCA!
So I joined.
I started Persistent Elephant in the middle of the summer. Winter is almost here and I'm not where I want to be. I've made some real progress -- walking regularly again, eating more vegetables, cutting waaaaay back on diet sodas and artificial sweeteners, and meditating regularly. I've read some great books that have helped me understand pieces to the puzzle. But I keep wobbling up and down the same five pounds.
As the mom of a toddler, I often hear, "No, I want to do it!" Sometimes my little guy tackles big things and amazes me with his abilities. At other times, I watch him struggle to open a gigantic door by himself (completely unaware he's about to get smooshed) or carry an object twice his size up a hill. Sometimes a little help goes a long way.
Weight loss is so simple.... You've got to expend more calories than you take in. I already know that cutting back on food alone doesn't work for me. I get grumpy. By sheer willpower, I can hold on for about six weeks, but then I get fed up and relax into old habits...after a period of overeating to make up for my frustrations. Besides, I feel better and my body functions much better with regular exercise. I've seen that speed walking with hills helps me maintain my weight beautifully. But I want to lose. I also want to gain flexibility and build some muscle mass.
A few of my mama friends go to the gym and they rave about it. I did the same thing for about six months during my Savannah years. I looked and felt great, but as soon as nice weather and bright mornings returned with spring, I gave it up. I'm not one for treadmills. BUT the YMCA offers a lot of classes and I've been curious about Pilates and Zumba. They also have yoga, which I really want to try.
Last week I toured the Y and another gym. Both have pools and classes, so they already offer a lot more than the cardio and weight areas my old Savannah gym had. But the Y was not only more sunny and cheerful, it was cheaper too. With support from my hubby, I signed up and I decided November 16 was going to be my first time. Turns out, I didn't sleep well last night. On the way to the Y, I realized I didn't have a good enough exercise bra and I forgot to bring a scrunchie for my hair. I started to turn the car around. But I didn't. I'm so glad. I did a "high, low" exercise class and truly loved it. It was quite the workout, but for hours later my body felt light and cool and clean and alive. Yeah, I had to modify some. I was a little awkward out there. Everybody was really nice, though. The instructor was encouraging and funny.
I did it!
Good for you, sometimes it takes just putting one foot in front of the other.
ReplyDeleteI'm not losing rapidly, but I feel good and stronger (overall) when I exercise. And I imagine I'm building muscle, which is heavier and so that is why the # on the scale is never what I think it should be. I'm happiest when I go to yoga class three times a week, but still having problems building a home practice. I am meditating regularly.